Y News: Phase 1 Opens Wednesday!
We are very excited to announce that we will be opening the Phase 1 addition next week! Below are some important dates and other important information about the transition.
Tuesday, November 17
The Y will be closed all day (except for Child Care) so staff can prepare for the final move into Phase 1.
Wednesday, November 18
Phase 1 and the new South Entrance will open at 5am – coincidentally one year since we broke ground! Beginning Wednesday:
- The new entrance into the parking lot from West Street is now open.
- The new South Entrance to the building will open and will be the main entrance during Phase 2 construction.
- The main Arch Street building entrance will close permanently.
- A temporary desk for member sign in/scan in will be at the South Entrance.
- The new Wellness Center will be open for cardio equipment and EGYM use.
- New equipment deliveries arrive weekly (free weight and selectorized equipment will be delivered soon).
- The current Adult Fitness Center will remain open for a few more weeks until the equipment arrives.
- The 24-hour access entrance will remain open with access to the current Adult Fitness Center and the new Wellness Center.
Friday, November 20
All services offered in the former school building will conclude at the end of the day Friday.
- Admin offices already have moved to a new temporary space
- Child Care will move to a new temporary space soon
- All Power Cycling and Land Fitness classes will end November 20 and be suspended until the temporary location in the current Adult Fitness Center is available. Old equipment must be removed and a wall will be built to create two spaces for classes. We expect the downtime for cycling and land fitness classes to be several weeks and will restore them as soon as possible.
- More virtual classes will be available until we are able to resume live classes.
What happens next with construction?
Preparation for demolition of the former school structure will begin as soon as we vacate the building. Demolition should take two months. Phase 2 construction will begin once the demolition is complete. Locker room renovations will begin sometime this winter as well.
Thank you so much for your patience during this first phase of our nearly $11 million construction project. We are very excited about the new addition. This second phase may be challenging at times. But now that we can see how beautiful this first phase is, we know any temporary inconveniences will be well worth it in the end.
Thank you for being loyal members of our Y!
Marcia Drozdowski, Chief Executive Officer
CARLISLE FAMILY YMCA