Swim Basics Swim Lessons
Due to capacity limits in the pool area, we are only allowing one adult per family to accompany children to Swim Lessons at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience, but we do not want to have to further limit the number of children we can have in each session in order to accommodate more spectators. Please also note that congregating in hallways and other common areas of the Y is not allowed. Thank you in advance for your understanding.
Students in our Swim Basics Swim Lessons learn personal water safety and achieve basic swimming competency by learning two benchmark skills: swim, float, swim—sequencing front glide, roll, back float, roll, front glide and exit—and jump, push, turn, grab. Students are taught the recommended skills to have around water including safe water habits, underwater exploration and how to swim to safety and exit in the event of falling into a body of water. Activities, games and drills to reinforce learning are utilized heavily as students progress in this skill-based approach to swimming.
- 1 / Water Acclimation – Increases comfort with underwater exploration and introduces basic self-rescue skills performed with assistance.
- 2 / Water Movement – Encourages forward movement in water and basic self-rescue skills performed independently.
- 3 / Water Stamina – Develops intermediate self-rescue skills performed at longer distances than in previous stages.
If you have a question about what level to choose for your child, contact Aquatics Director Tara Young (contact info below).
Fall 2020 Info
Swim Lessons are held twice a week on weekday evenings for three weeks or for four Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday mornings. You can choose Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday nights. On Tuesday mornings, Stages 1-2 are together and Stages 3-4 are together. On Saturday mornings, Stages 1-3 have lessons at the same time. We will divide the kids into appropriate groups on the first day of lessons. Weekday evening lessons are divided by stages. Evening lessons are 30 minutes and morning lessons are 45 minutes.
- Monday/Wednesday OR Tuesday/Thursday evenings (Nov 2-19): Stages 1-2 from 5-5:30pm; Stage 3 from 5:30-6pm
- Tuesday mornings (Nov 3-24): Stages 1-2 from 10:15-11am; Stages 3-4 from 11-11:45am
- Saturday mornings (Nov 7 – Dec 5): Stages 1-3 from 10-10:45am (skip 11/28)
Please note: The child taking lessons must be a member to receive the member rate.
Ages: 3 years old and up
Member Fee: $45
Non-Member Fee: $75
Location: Carlisle Family YMCA Indoor Pool
Session: November 2 - December 5, 2020
Schedule: See above